I stumbled upon this sculpture while visiting Galveston State Park yesterday. It is widely believed that the Eskimo Curlew is extinct. The only photographs ever taken of the Eskimo Curlew in the wild anywhere in the world were taken here on West Galveston Island in March 1962. The Eskimo Curlew Memorial Sculpture was installed on March 24, 2020 in Galveston Island State Park in Galveston, Texas.
I’m excited to visit several other Lost Bird Sculptures that I will be close to the next several months.
- Passenger Pigeon Memorial Sculpture is in the Grange Audubon Center in Columbus, Ohio
- The Great Auk Memorial Sculpture is on Joe Batt’s Point in Fogo Island, Newfoundland
- The Heath Hen Memorial Sculpture is in the Manuel F. Correllus State Forest in Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts.
- The Labrador Duck Memorial Sculpture is in Brand Park in Elmira, New York
- The Carolina Parakeet Memorial Sculpture is in Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park in Okeechobee, Florida.