In 1838 the US Government took action to reduce the number of shipwrecks along the dangerous Cape Cod Atlantic coast by establishing the Nauset Light. To make the signal easily recognizable, three separate lanterns were set on small brick towers about 150 feet apart. Unfortunately, the brick “Three Sisters” were built too close to the eroding cliff which threatened to undermine them. In 1892 they were replaced by wooden towers built farther back from the edge.
From 1923 until 1981 the Nauset Light carried on the tradition of the retired “Three Sisters” by flashing three times every ten seconds. The present light flashes an alternating red and white pattern